DeWalt M-16 Nail gun: Blackwater meets Black & Decker

Word-compounding is a linguistic feat, definitely not unique to English, but practiced among speakers of the King’s all the same.  To make a compound word, speakers combine two or more words to form a new word that, in theory, is a more complete or accurate representation of the object they are attempting to reference in its context in language and culture.  “Football” is one; so is “browbeat.”

And so is “nailgun”—that sublime combination of two of the most macho toys on the planet.  But not really, because “nailgun” is not actually a word.  It’s “nail gun”—until now.

Meet the DeWalt M-16 Nail gun (or nailgun), the creation of a Mr. David Wiggins, which we first saw on Toolmonger (so you know what we’re looking at when we’re not looking at guns). Fitted with a hundred-round magazine (we wonder if that would fall under the rubric of high-capacity magazine legislation), the DeWalt M16 nailgun is rapid-fire, cordless
tool and can sink a 6D nail all the way through a 2×4 past 200 yards.  The magazine is an original too and can presumably hold 5.56x45mm NATO rounds. Jeez, if a  sniper was slick enough he could feasibly secure the pickets to the stretchers of a fence from like a football field away.

Evidently, Mr. Wiggins saw a picture of an inferior homespun job almost eight years ago and set about improving the theme and design.

Mr. Wiggins recounted, “I’d just picked up a new M-16 and was in the process of fixing it up a little. It needed new furniture anyway, so I sourced the safety yellow stock, guard, and grip. Then, I went down to the DeWalt factory service place a few miles from the house to get a sticker. There, I saw they had brand new battery casings, so I picked up one of those too. I got home, found a short magazine , and got to work.

Mr. Wiggins continued, describing the ingenious construction process he used to bring this Site Foreman’s nightmare to life.

“I traced an approximation of the size hole I’d need in the top of the plastic casing, and slowly dremeled away the plastic I didn’t need. Once done, I epoxied the magazine body into the hole and quickly assembled everything so that I could make sure it all looked right before the epoxy set up. Once the epoxy cured, I took the mag back apart, cleaned up some of the bigger resin boogers, and then masked the top of the mag and hit it w/ some mil-spec glossy black coating (aka Krylon).”

 

 

Post your Comments