Pro-gun group raising money to buy Zimmerman new gun has website hacked, shut down (VIDEO)

The Buckeye Firearms Association, a non-profit, pro-gun organization based in Ohio, had its website hacked and shut down after it sent George Zimmerman a check so that the neighborhood watch volunteer could purchase a new gun.

In an email to The Daily Caller, Director of Marketing and Communications Dean Rieck explained what happened to the Buckeye Firearms Association and Buckeye Firearms Foundation’s websites.

“Our IT guy says it’s a ‘denial of service’ or DoS attack. This is not the ordinary ‘hack’ attack that we’ve experienced many times in the past,” Rieck said.” A DoS attack involves using significant resources to bombard a server to temporarily or permanently disrupt service.”

Rieck went on to discuss the extent of the damage wreaked by the attackers, which went far beyond the websites.

“This attack was so overwhelming, it took down the entire company that hosts our website. Thousands of IP addresses have been caught up in the digital bloodshed,” he lamented. “Shortly after all the company servers went down, their power went down. And our IT guy says his cell phone service vanished.”

As noted by The Daily Caller, a DoS attack is usually an artificial call for content resulting in an overwhelming amount of server requests. It is designed to disable the targeted servers or cripple the servers so that content is delivered so slowly it makes the website unusable.

The Kel-Tec PF9 used by George Zimmerman when he fatally shot Trayvon Martin during an incident between the two on Feb. 26, 2012 in Sanford, Florida.

The Kel-Tec PF9 used by George Zimmerman when he fatally shot Trayvon Martin during an incident between the two on Feb. 26, 2012 in Sanford, Florida.

While it’s not exactly clear who initiated the DoS attack or their motive for doing so, Reick and the other members believe it has something to with the fundraiser they started last Saturday for Zimmerman.

“We don’t yet know where this attack came from, but we find it hard to believe that it is a coincidence that it’s happening at the very moment a story went national about raising funds to enable George Zimmerman to purchase a new firearm after Eric Holder and the DOJ decided to prevent him from getting his personal property back,” he said.

See, although Zimmerman was acquitted in the shooting death of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin in a Florida court, Attorney General Eric Holder ordered the Sanford Police Department to hold on to all the evidence in the case, including Zimmerman’s Kel-Tec PF9, the firearm he used to fatally wound Martin, until the Department of Justice evaluates whether Zimmerman violated Martin’s civil rights during the night of the encounter.

This unfortunate turn of events for Zimmerman, who in the eyes of some is public enemy number one, is what prompted the Buckeye Firearms Association to start a fund to replace his concealed carry weapon.

“We consider this an outrageous abuse of power to score political points at the expense of an American citizen,” said Jim Irvine, President of Buckeye Firearms Foundation, on the group’s website prior to it being attacked.

“Mr. Zimmerman was tried in a court of law and found not guilty. And now all evidence should be returned to the rightful owner, including his firearm,” he continued.

Putting aside the DoS attack, the fundraiser was a huge success for Zimmerman.  The group raised a total of $12,657.48, which amounted to a net of $12,150.37 after PayPal transaction fees had been deducted.  That’s easily enough money to get Zimmerman a quality handgun, holster, flashlight, ammo and whatever accessories he may want.

“We received 774 donations from 48 states, plus Australia, Lithuania, New South Wales, and Switzerland. Donations ranged from $1 to $100, with the average being $16.35,” said Rieck, when discussing where all the money came from in a press release.

“For privacy and security reasons,” continued Rieck, “we’ve decided to send Mr. Zimmerman a check rather than try to arrange a meeting or transfer gear directly. We spoke with his attorney, Mark O’Mara, who agreed to provide evidence that Mr. Zimmerman receives the check.”

“We also agreed to provide evidence that we were passing along 100 percent of the donations received. O’Mara was thrilled that we were being so transparent. He told us ‘lots of cranks’ are raising money in Zimmerman’s name and not sending the funds to him.”

While Zimmerman seems to be well taken care of as a result of the fundraiser, the Buckeye Firearms Association and Buckeye Firearms Foundation’s websites are still down (at the time of writing this article).  Hopefully, they get their serves up and running in the very near future.

Post your Comments