Three children were severely injured in a cannon accident during a Civil War reenactment in Utah Saturday.
When a cannon was fired as part of Orem’s annual Summerfest Grand Parade, a spark found its way to a pouch containing the remaining charges. The pouch exploded and the fireball burned three children that were part of the Civil War reenactment group, ABC reports.
Corina Johnson, who is a registered nurse, was one of the first to respond to the scene and was quick to jump into action.
“Originally there was just a bunch of smoke, and we saw a kid duck out from underneath and then we saw three different kids on fire,” Johnson said. “There were people yelling to stop, drop and roll, water bottles flying so they could get some things going, me an and another nurse were sitting on the side and ran over to kind of help. I didn’t stay for a long time, doused the kids in water, got their clothes, puled off as much as possible and got EMT headed this way.”
The children suffered first and second degree burns on their waists and arms and were transported to an area hospital, where they were listed as being in stable condition.
[ ABC ]