Michigan man convicted of threatening school shooting on Facebook

A federal judge convicted a Michigan man who posted threats on Facebook to shoot up Western Michigan University, the U.S. Attorney’s Office announced today.

Timothy Siangdun, 44, was convicted last week in a Western District of Michigan court of three counts of making interstate threats to injury.

Siangdun, a now former electrical engineering student at the school, posted threats on multiple occasions in 2013.

“Immediately following his conviction on these serious charges, and after being cautioned by a federal judge, he engaged in the same conduct once again, making further threats online,” said Paul M. Abbate, FBI Special Agent in Charge, in the official statement. He added that the FBI makes it a priority to address Internet threats.

“Online threats of violence have no place in the Western District of Michigan,” said Patrick A. Miles, U.S. attorney, who added “state and local partners worked long hours to see that these threats were fully investigated for possible prosecution.”

According to Siangdun’s indictment, on or around Aug. 6, 2013, he wrote on the “Rick Snyder for Michigan” Facebook page, “Better be prepared for school shooting at Western Michigan University.”

Around the same timeframe he wrote on the Western Michigan University’s Facebook page, “Hello Parents! Get expensive life insurance for your kids, somebody is really going to shoot at Western Michigan University.”

Lastly, also in the same timeframe, he wrote on the “Congress” Facebook page, “You all just waiting to see school shooting at Western Michigan University?”

Why he did it? Siangdun told  the Associated Press in 2014 that it’s a “long story.”

Siangdun faces up to five years in prison and a $250,000 fine. His sentencing hearing begins on June 4.

Daniel Terrill contributed to the reporting of this story.