Lawmakers in New York, Illinois call for action on No Fly List gun sales

Lawmakers in New York, Illinois call for action on no fly list gun sales

U.S. Sen. Charles Schumer and New York Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo on Sunday called for gun sales in the state to be checked against the federal terror watch list. (Photo: governor.ny.gov)

After last week’s execute action by Connecticut Gov. Dannel Malloy to bar those on no-fly lists from buying guns, high-ranking Democrats in at least two states are following suit.

Democrats U.S. Sen. Charles Schumer and New York Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo said in a joint announcement Sunday that the easiest way to prevent sales to individuals on the no-fly list, which is maintained by the Federal Bureau of Investigation, in the Empire State is to simply add it to the current background check system that’s also operated by the FBI.

“Railing to close the Terror Gap in New York State will send a message to other states – and Congress – to act,” said Schumer in a statement. “The federal government has always been there for New York when it comes to giving us the tools we need to fight terrorism and I remain hopeful that they’ll work with us on preventing terror suspects from passing gun background checks.”

Efforts by Dems on Capitol Hill to tie the terror lists to gun sales have only resulted in delaying tactics while lawmakers try to gain enough votes for a move to force a vote on the issue.

In Illinois, state Rep. Gregory Harris, from Chicago, on the same day as Malloy’s announcement in Connecticut, filed a measure in the state House that would require the Illinois State Police to compare the database of those with Firearm Owner’s Identification Card previously issued against the terror watch list. Those found on the list would have five days to surrender their card, needed to legally own guns in the Land of Lincoln. Harris’ bill gained 16 co-sponsors by Monday.

Meanwhile, in Massachusetts, Gov. Charlie Baker announced he would look into a similar proposal such as in neighboring Connecticut, as reported by the Boston Herald.

The executive action proposed in Connecticut would strike at future gun transfers as well as current firearms permit holders. Those denied would be allowed to appeal to the state Board of Firearms Permit Examiners and finally to Superior Court.

National and state gun rights groups warned of possible litigation against both Malloy and the federal government should the action move forward, citing the order would be a clear “due process” violation of the 14th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution.