Friend of San Bernardino shooter indicted on federal gun charges

Enrique Marquez

Enrique Marquez

The 24-year-old Riverside man who admitted to purchasing the guns used in the San Bernardino shooting at a holiday party last month was indicted by a federal grand jury last week.

Enrique Marquez Jr. was charged with two counts for the straw purchase of the two rifles used in the shooting that left 14 dead and 22 injured. In addition to providing material support to terrorists, Marquez also faces charges for marriage fraud and making false statements on immigration paperwork for a sham marriage with a relative of the shooter.

“This indictment demonstrates that we will hold accountable all individuals who collaborate with terrorists in executing their plans,” said United States Attorney Eileen M. Decker.

Marquez, who placed a call to 911 shortly after the shooting and admitted it was his guns that were used, was arrested last month and said to be cooperating with authorities. He is currently being held without bond and is scheduled to be arraigned Wednesday.

If convicted, Marquez could face up to 35 years in prison.

[ Justice Department ]