Hick gives a great break down on range safety essentials by tackling muzzle discipline and being safe with where you point a firearm.
“When we talk about things like this, this is serious business, this is life and death,” he says, using an unloaded and checked airsoft Glock as he sweeps his feet with the muzzle to give a graphic example.
But seriously folks, this is widely regarded as *Rule #1 in gun safety, and so many accidents can be prevented if only it is followed religiously, so be sure to share with new shooters and those who can use the lesson.
Firearms Safety — 10 Rules of Safe Gun Handling
*1. Always Keep The Muzzle Pointed In A Safe Direction
2. Firearms Should Be Unloaded When Not Actually In Use
3. Don’t Rely On Your Gun’s “Safety”
4. Be Sure Of Your Target And What’s Beyond It
5. Use Correct Ammunition
6. If Your Gun Fails To Fire When The Trigger Is Pulled, Handle With Care!
7. Always Wear Eye And Ear Protection When Shooting
8. Be Sure The Barrel Is Clear Of Obstructions Before Shooting
9. Don’t Alter Or Modify Your Gun, And Have Guns Serviced Regularly
10. Learn The Mechanical And Handling Characteristics Of The Firearm You Are Using