While framing up a fireplace in a house he was building Doug Bergeson accidentally took a 3.5-inch nail to the chest, penetrating to his heart and requiring emergency surgery. However, he seems nonchalant in the above video.
“It didn’t really hurt. It just felt like it kind of stung me,” he said.
It was when he felt his chest and found the end of the nail protruding, then noticed it was moving to the beat of his heart that he thought it was “not good” and decided to drive himself to the hospital.
“It seemed like the thing to do,” Bergeson said. “I felt fine, other than having a little too much iron in my diet.”
Doctors said Bergeson was “very astute” to not pull the nail out.