The Nebraska-based outdoor retailer removed bump stocks from its website Oct. 3 — two days after the deadliest mass shooting in American history left 59 dead and 489 injured in Las Vegas. (Photo: Cabela’s)
Cabela’s finally addressed its sudden decision to pull bump stocks from its inventory in a statement provided to the Washington Examiner last week.
The Nebraska-based outdoor retailer removed the gun modifications from its website Oct. 3 — two days after a lone gunman rained bullets down into a crowded country music festival from a high rise hotel on the Las Vegas strip, killing 58 and wounding 489 others.
“On Tuesday, October 3, Cabela’s initiated the process of discontinuing the sale of these devices at all retail locations and online,” the company wrote in a statement provided to the Washington Examiner Friday. “We agree with the National Rifle Association and others that the sale of such devices should be subject to additional regulation.”
Bump stocks, legal devices that mimic automatic gunfire, made headlines last week after the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives confirmed 12 of the modifiers were found in the 64-year-old gunman’s two-room suite on the 32nd floor of Mandalay Bay and Casino.
Typically retailing for as little $99, major retailers — including Walmart and Cabela’s — pulled the devices from shelves in the days after the shooting. SlideFire Solutions, a Texas-based bump stock manufacturer, temporarily halted new orders. Requests for comment from all three companies went unanswered last week.
The devices face an uncertain future as congressional Republicans express a willingness to re-examine current federal regulations for bump stocks — a sentiment echoed, in part, by the National Rifle Association last week.
“We didn’t talk about banning anything,” Chris Cox, NRA-ILA’s executive director, told Tucker Carlson during an interview last week on Fox News. “We talked about the ATF going back and looking at if these (bump stocks) comply with federal law.”
The impending ban got a leg up in Congress Tuesday after Republican Florida Rep. Carlos Curbelo introduced H.R. 3999, a three page proposal outlawing the production or possession of any gun part that increases the rate of fire on a semi-automatic firearm without converting it to the legal definition of a machine gun, Guns.com previously reported.
“This common-sense legislation will ban devices that blatantly circumvent already existing law without restricting Second Amendment rights,” Curbelo said Tuesday in a press release.
“Like all Americans, we are shocked and deeply saddened by the horrific tragedy in Las Vegas,” Cabela’s statement says. “Our thoughts and prayers go out to the victims, their families and loved ones. We also pay tribute to the first responders and other heroes who provided care and support during the assault.”